Segmented Clocks

 

Or

 

The Rewards of Procrastination

 

A Pictorial Article by Bob Hamilton

 

          I actually started out to clean my shop.  Really!  Unfortunately, in the first corner I started to clean I discovered a bag containing half a dozen clock kits that I don’t even remember buying.  Somehow, making a few clocks sounded WAY more interesting than cleaning.

 

Photo #1:  One of the clock kits

 

This is a picture of one of the clock kits I found.   It is complete with face, hands, movement, and the battery IS included.  The shrink wrap packaging was a bit of a problem when it came to getting the hands out, though.  I am glad that I did not want to use the second hands on these clocks, because I don’t think I managed to get even one of them out without damaging it.  I had some walnut and maple around, so that is what I chose to make the clocks from.  I milled some of the walnut to ¾” thick and some to ½” thick.  The maple I milled to a bit over 1/8” thick.  All of it was ripped to 2” width.

 

        

Photo #2:  Setting up to cut the mitres               Photo #3:  First end trimmed

 

          I made a stop block for my mitre saw with the end trimmed to the 22.5° angle required for the octagons.  I cut the end of the stock to the angle, then flipped it edge for edge, slid it down to the stop and made the second cut.

 

                                          

Photo #4:  Stock flipped and slid to stop            Photo #5:  First segment cut

 

          After each cut the stock was flipped and slid down to the stop for the next cut.  It didn’t take long to get a pile of segments.

 

Photo #6:  Parts cut for several clocks

 

Next Page

 

            Return to Article Index